Find us on Google+

Search

Sunday, December 9, 2012

SingulariTea: The Future of Tea!

By Kit Clock

I am currently finishing up my last year for a bachelor's in Illustration. A recent assignment in one of my classes was to design four labels for four different flavors of a food or drink product. I came up with an idea for an iced tea drink called "SingulariTea", and here are the labels I made for it. Each one would be wrapped around a 16 oz can. Keep in mind, because these are just mockups, not all the text is finalized, and the nutrition facts don't pertain to any actual product. The top bubble would contain an interesting fact related to the name of each flavor.

Too many of the people I've talked to are unaware of the latest breakthroughs in science and technology, their significance, and the impact they will have on our future. I wanted to use this assignment as an opportunity to introduce my classmates (and the world in general) to the singularity, exponential growth, and other futurist and transhumanist concepts.

More about the singularity:

Four key areas I wanted to focus on, artificial intelligence, genomics, robotics, and nanotechnology, became the names of my flavors. I developed a transhuman character to appear as the subject of the four labels. 



On the label for A.I. Apple, he's sitting on a brain covered in a circuit-board pattern, representing artificial intelligence, or a merging of human and machine intelligence (augmented intelligence).

More about artificial intelligence: 

On the label for Genomic Grape, he's holding a DNA strand. The cost of genome sequencing has been rapidly decreasing, as shown on this page: http://www.genome.gov/sequencingcosts/

More about genomics: 



On the label for Nanotech Nectarine, he's juggling respirocytes - microscopic artificial red blood cells that would be much more efficient than biological ones. 

More about nanotech:


On the label for Robotic Raspberry, he's high-fiving an anthropomorphic robot. Robots already save us both time and lives by doing tasks that are either boring or dangerous for humans, and will increasingly fill a new role as human companions.

More about robotics: 


No comments:

Post a Comment